Bald Head Island is a village in Brunswick County, North Carolina. It is located on the east side of the Cape Fear River. It falls within the Wilmington Metro Area, and it only accessible by ferry from Southport. It has a total area of 5.8 square miles. 4.3 square miles of the area is land, and the rest is water. Post Hurrican Floyd, it is attached by shoal with the Fort Fisher State Recreation Area to Pleasure Island.
It is surmised that Native Americans used the island as a summer retreat, much like its current use. The European explorers tried to colonize the area a number of times, starting from the sixteenth century. A colony was established in the eighteenth century. The original lighthouse here was built in 1794, and it became inoperable by 1813. The next one was built by 1817. When this proved inadequate, another lighthouse was built, which became operational in 1903. This was known as Camp Fear Light. In 1956, this was replaced by the Oak Island Light.
Tourism, summer rentals and associated commercial activities drive the local economy. The locale is also popular as a filming destination.