Barnegat Light is a Borough in Ocean County, New Jersey. Its population at the 2010 census was 574. The Barnegat Lighthouse is located here, and the borough is on the border of the Atlantic Ocean.
The borough has gone through a number of changes, including its name, which is an adaptation of the orgininal name given in 1614 "Barendegat," or "Inlet of the Breakers," by Dutch settlers. The first lighthouse tower was built here in 1835 to coincide with the increased economic dependence on the inlet. Whaling and timber transport was the main activities that needed the construction of the lighthouse tower. There is also a relatively recent jetty, along with areas designated as parkland, as well as a bird sanctuary. In addition to the lighthouse, the town had a United States Coast Guard station, which is still active, reflecting the continued presence of the former United States Life-Saving Service. There is also Tourism and fishing continue to remain the most significant economic activities in this region.