Belmont is a town in Belknap County, New Hampshire. Its population at the 2010 census was 7,356. The most densely-populated portion of the town is near the intersection of New Hampshire Route 106 and New Hampshire Route 140, and this is a Census Designated Place (CDP). The town was named to honor August Belmont, a wealthy financier who never acknowledged the act. It was settled in 1727 and originally called Upper Gilmanton. It became a mill town due to power available from Tioga River. The most notable factory here was the Gilmanton Village Manufacturing Co., which made cotton and woolen textiles. Over the years it would change owners, names and products. In 1921, it was the Belmont Hosiery Co., a maker of silk, lisle and woolen stockings. It went out of business in 1955, and the factory building is now used as a community center.
Belmont lies entirely within the Merrimack River watershed. The primary occupations here include sales, production and transport of materials, and professional services.