Perote is an unincorporated community in Bullock County, Alabama. It has an elevation of 147 m. The post office of Perote was built in 1846. Perote was first called Fulford’s Cross Roads by settlers during the mid-1830s where they came primarily from the Carolinas and Georgia. In 1850, the name Perote was then adopted in suggestion by the Mexican War veterans in the Mexican city of Perote, Veracruz. The community had once a rapidly growth business economy and then suffered a steady decline in business activity and population due to By-passed on the railroad and experiencing several disastrous fires in the place.